Fit Tip: Set Your Fitness Resolutions Up for Success
Making a resolution is the great first step, but in order to succeed, you need a detailed blueprint, some positive thinking, and a stick-to-it mindset. A lasting change means going through the long haul. Here’s how to reach success this coming year:
1. Encourage yourself with your wins. Before you scratch your 2017 resolutions out on paper or type them in your phone, take some time to think about what you did right in 2016. What progress have you made on your fitness goals? What can you continue? When you remember the positive, you gain confidence and motivation.
2. Get specific with your resolutions. “Lose weight” isn't specific enough. A smart resolution is “lose 20 pounds in the first six months of the year” or "put in six miles on the treadmill each week." The more specific you are with your goals, the sharper your focus will be to get them done.
3. Have a plan. Once you know your fitness resolutions, decide the best way to make them happen. If one of your resolutions is to, “build strength and firm up your body” as yourself how you're going to make it happen and by when. Will you go to a group class? Do circuits on selectorized machines? Use your body weight? How many times a week will you devote to building muscle? Get your detailed plan in print so you can follow it.
4. Make it fun. If your fitness goals become chores, then they're much harder to accomplish. Find ways to make fitness fun. Join a group cycling class or functional training group. Find a place to swim or play pick-up basketball. Set distance and time goals for the treadmill. Mixing up the routine makes working out fun.
5. Stick to it. Resolutions are not supposed to be ignored. Make sure that your actions match your words. You'll see a personal transformation if you do, and you might inspire others to come up with their own smart resolutions.
Make some better resolutions this year by targeting the fitness and health goals that matter to you most and make them happen. If you have some success early in the year, let the momentum propel you to continue through your best year yet.